Connect to Support Hillingdon
Please review and correct the information below.

Deferred payment agreement


Deferred payment agreements are designed to prevent people from having to sell their home in their lifetime to meet the cost of their care. If you meet the scheme criteria, the council can offer you this agreement.

The deferred payment agreement means that you can put off or 'defer' paying part of the costs for your care until a later date. You will still need to pay a contribution towards your care costs based on your available income and capital on a regular basis but the remainder of costs will be deferred.

A deferral can last until death, however some people may choose to use a deferred payment agreement as a 'bridging loan' to give them time and flexibility to sell their home when they choose to do so.

The council can charge set up fees and interest on the amount deferred, These charges are to cover the council's costs for arranging and administering the deferred agreement and not to make a profit.

A deferred payment agreement is only one option to pay for care. To find out more about all options available, it is best to speak to a financial advisor or seek advice from an   independent organisation.


In order to be eligible for a deferred payment agreement, you must have care needs that should be met through a care home placement.

You could be eligible for a deferred payment agreement if you are already in a care home or moving into one soon. You must own a property and have less than £23,250 in capital.


Deferred payment agreements will suit some people's circumstances better than others. The main benefit is that a person will not have to sell their home in their lifetime to pay care home bills.

Deferring payment can give people peace of mind during a time that can be challenging for them and their loves ones as they make the transition into care. It can also provide additional flexibility for when and how care support costs are paid.

How to apply

If you think that a Deferred Payment Agreement is the right option for you, please ensure that you have read through the detailed information and guidance together with the schedule of fees. You can download this information at the bottom of this page.

To apply, you will need to complete an application form. You can download the form at the bottom of this page. The form and supporting documents include details of where to send when completed and how to get further help in completing, if required.

Further information

Last reviewed: 09/01/2020

Useful links

While every care has been taken in the compilation of the information on this website, neither Hillingdon Council or PCG Care Solutions will be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of using the site and any inaccuracies/errors within these pages.

If you choose to purchase services via the Marketplace, you are advised to refer to the Buyers Guide prior to making a purchase, as well as making your own enquiries and seeking independent advice. This is applicable to Adult services only, as there is no Marketplace for Children's services.