Connect to Support Hillingdon
Please review and correct the information below.

Financial assessment


What is a financial assessment?

Social care, unlike health care, is not free. Following your care needs assessment, which works out what support you need and how much it will cost to provide, we'll offer to complete a financial assessment to work out how much of that cost the council can cover, and how much you'll need to pay for yourself.

During the financial assessment process, you will be asked to confirm and provide evidence of your income, savings and capital.

You will be offered the choice of completing your financial assessment online or if you don’t have access to a computer you can complete and return a paper financial assessment form.  Home visits may be available to support individuals who have difficulty in completing the non-residential services financial assessment form. If you do not submit your financial assessment form by the deadline given or fail to make an agreed meeting, the effective date of your financial assessment will be the Monday following either the date we first planned to visit you or the deadline given for submitting an online or paper form.

The amount you are financially assessed to pay will be reviewed each year unless your circumstances change during the year. You have a responsibility to inform us of any changes in your circumstances.

As part of the financial assessment process, we will carry out a full benefit check to ensure you are receiving your full entitlement and help and signpost you to claim any additional benefits that are relevant.

Your contribution


If you have more than £23,250 in savings or if you choose not to be financially assessed you will have to pay the full cost of your care and will be referred to as a Self Funder. The council will support you with finding the right services to meet your care and support needs, but you will need to make arrangements to pay your chosen care provider directly.

If you have less than £23,250, or your savings drop under this amount, you can be financially assessed based on your income and savings. Charges vary depending on the amount of care being received and financial circumstances. Our financial assessment team will look at your finances in more detail to work out your contribution, check you are getting the right amount of welfare benefits, and help you to claim what's due to you to make sure you don't miss out.

Your ability to pay is not related to the amount of care and support you may need.


For non-residential care, your contribution will be assessed in line withe the care act regulations set out by the Department of Health. In some circumstances you will not have to pay anything towards your care.

For residential or nursing care, you will always have to make a contribution towards the cost of your care fees. Your contribution will be assessed in line with the care act regulations set out by the Department of Health. You will make a contribution based on:

  • - your income from state pension
  • - benefits
  • - other income
  • - any capital or savings you have over £14,250
  • You are entitled to retain an amount towards any personal items you need such as toiletries, newspapers and sundries. This amount is currently £24.90 per week.
  • PayingForCare.co.uk launched the PayingForCare calculator, a tool which will help you:

    • Work out how much average care home/nursing fees could be, based on personal circumstances
    • Find out if the council will help pay, based on a short set of questions

    Care charges

    Non residential care

    The cost of services is dependent on type of service you use and the provider chosen.  Further information on the charges for specific services is included in the marketplace

    Residential care

    The council will pay a maximum amount towards your weekly care home costs. The amounts vary depending on the type of care you receive. You will have to meet the eligibility criteria to get funding support.

    If you are assessed as needing nursing care, the Hillingdon Clinical Commissioning Group will pay the nursing care costs direct to the nursing care home.

    You will always need to pay something towards the cost of your residential care, which is worked out using a national set of rules. This is called your assessed contribution. The council will pay the difference between the weekly cost of your care home fees less your assessed contribution.

    However, if you choose a care home that is more expensive than the maximum weekly council contribution, you will have to make arrangements for someone else to pay the difference. This is called a third party top up. You cannot pay this amount from your own income or capital.

    Self funders

    What is a self funder?

    If you choose not to be financially assessed, have savings over the relevant limit or you are not eligible for social care support you are referred to as a self funder.

    As a self funder the council will not automatically organise your care for you, however we will support you with finding the right services to meet your care and support needs, but you will need to make arrangements to pay your chosen care provider directly.

    Support for self funders

    If you are not entitled to financial help towards your care costs, the council can still help you in the following ways.

    • - arrange to assess your needs and can review your needs on a yearly basis or if your needs change.
    • - support you with finding the right services to meet your care and support needs, but you will need to make arrangements to pay your chosen care provider directly.
    • - provide welfare benefits advice and ensure you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to or put you in contact with other agencies who can help.

    It is always advisable to seek independent financial advice.

    Deferred payment

    Local contact details for further info

    If you need residential or nursing care and own a property, you can apply for the deferred payment scheme. This is where the council provide assistance with the cost of your care fees until such time as you decide to sell your property or pass away. You must meet the eligibility criteria in order to qualify for this scheme. You will still need to make a contribution towards your care fees based on your available income and capital.

    Further information

    If you need more information regarding eligibility criteria please contact Hillingdon Social Care Direct

    Any queries regarding financial assessments contact the financial assessment team

    Queries relating to billing should be directed to adults social care charges team

    Paying contributions towards your care and support whilst living in your own home - 2019-20

    Choosing and paying for care in a residential home - 2019-20

    Last reviewed: 18/07/2019

Useful links

While every care has been taken in the compilation of the information on this website, neither Hillingdon Council or PCG Care Solutions will be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of using the site and any inaccuracies/errors within these pages.

If you choose to purchase services via the Marketplace, you are advised to refer to the Buyers Guide prior to making a purchase, as well as making your own enquiries and seeking independent advice. This is applicable to Adult services only, as there is no Marketplace for Children's services.