Connect to Support Hillingdon
Please review and correct the information below.

Substance misuse


Substance misuse is formally defined as the continued misuse of any mind-altering substance that severely affects a person’s physical and mental health, social situation and responsibilities.

Alcohol dependence is the most common form of substance misuse, but any drug, including heroin, cocaine, crack and cannabis, comes into this category, as does the misuse of glue and aerosols.

Most forms of substance misuse may give you a temporary feeling of well-being or of being in control, but all of them can ultimately damage your health.

The most severe forms of substance misuse are normally treated by specialist drug and alcohol rehabilitation services. For people with mental health problems who are also substance misusers, the mental health team normally encourages contact with a specialist substance misuse service for help. There is also a lot you can do to help yourself


Addiction, Recovery, Community Hillingdon Service (Arch)

Arch is a free and confidential service for young people and adults who live or are registered with a GP in Hillingdon.

Visit the Arch website to find out more information about this service and how to make a referral for yourself, a family member or patient.


Blenheim CDP is a charity that helps people struggling with alcohol and substance misuse. It offers a structured day care programme for people who have problems with drugs or alcohol. The service is open to people aged 18 or above who are living in the borough of Hillingdon.

Further information

Local and national organisations

Additional information and advice on drug and alcohol issues is provided by the following organisations:

FRANK: Friendly confidential drug advice.

Sorted: A confidential service for 12-21 year olds in Hillingdon who are experiencing a drug or alcohol-related problem.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous

Alcohol Concern

EACH provides advice, information, support and counselling for people using Khat.

NHS Choices Alcohol Unit Calculator

Last reviewed: 17/01/2019

Useful links

Nhs choices

While every care has been taken in the compilation of the information on this website, neither Hillingdon Council or PCG Care Solutions will be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of using the site and any inaccuracies/errors within these pages.

If you choose to purchase services via the Marketplace, you are advised to refer to the Buyers Guide prior to making a purchase, as well as making your own enquiries and seeking independent advice. This is applicable to Adult services only, as there is no Marketplace for Children's services.