Connect to Support Hillingdon
Please review and correct the information below.

Simple equipment


If you have problems completing daily living activities safely and independently there are many different types of specially designed equipment to make looking after yourself simpler. Being able to move about your home safely will help you maintain your wellbeing and enable you to stay living independently in your own home. This information applies to both adults and children.

Simple equipment

Small pieces of equipment such as perching stools and raised toilet seats can make daily living tasks much easier to manage.

Read more about the support available at the Disabled Living Foundation (DLF). DLF is a national charity providing independent advice on mobility aids, disability aids and daily living equipment.

Use the self assessment tools available - Ask Sara and Living Made Easy to see if you would benefit from equipment.

You can also contact the Disabled Association for Hillingdon (DASH) for free information and advice.

If you are still uncertain as to what equipment would make life easier for you contact Hillingdon Social Care Direct to request an assessment or complete one online. You may be entitled to assessment from our occupational therapy team. If you are eligible for support you will be given a prescription that can be redeemed in a range of accredited retailers across the borough or we may provide equipment on loan.

Complex equipment and adapations

You may be assessed as requiring complex equipment or an adaptation to your home such as a stair lift, ramp etc see our Adaptations page.

Available support


Items of equipment are available for people who live in Hillingdon and who need practical help due to disability, for example, sight or hearing loss, physical, mental or learning disabilities, frailty or illness. These pieces of equipment can sometimes be all that is needed to help you to maintain your independence and wellbeing.

However, in order to work out just how much help is needed to make life easier for you, we need to carry out an assessment. The assessment will determine if you need a specific piece of equipment or whether you need more specialist advice from our occupational therapy team.

Occupational therapy provides support to people whose health prevents them from doing the activities that matter to them. An occupational therapist can identify the things you can do well and the things that you struggle with in your normal everyday life. This could be things such as washing or dressing or getting out to the shops and accessing the community. They will help you work out practical ways to manage, help you set goals to regain, maintain and improve your independence by using different techniques, adjustments to your environment and identify any equipment that would help you. 

You can find more information about occupational therapy on the NHS Choices website.

After the assessment we will identify and agree your needs with you and discuss the help and support available to meet them, according to your individual circumstances. 

If you do not qualify for a service from the council, you can buy equipment directly from accredited retailers across the borough, see details at the bottom of this page.

If you do not want to go through the council, you can contact an occupational therapist directly. The professional body for occupational therapists working in a wide range of areas in the UK is the Royal College of Occupational Therapists (RCOT).

Visit the NHS Choices website for more information about the association which includes the College of Occupational Therapists and to see the patient information leaflets they have published.


How do I obtain simple equipment?

If you or someone you care for needs equipment to help with household tasks, there are a number of ways this can be arranged.

  • Use the self assessment tools on Ask Sara to identify the right equipment for you and purchase through
  • Visit a local accredited retailer, see list below.
  • Request an assessment and if you are eligible to receive equipment, you will receive a prescription from either, an occupational therapist, physiotherapist or district nurse.
  • You can also buy simple equipment directly from one of the accredited retail outlets within the borough listed in the Marketplace

Please Hillingdon Social Care Direct to request an assessment or complete one online.

What do I do with the prescription?

If you are given a prescription, you or a friend or family member can take it to one of the acredited retail outlets  in the borough and exchange the prescription free of charge for the equipment you have been prescribed. Receiving your equipment on prescription, means that you own the equipment and it does not need to be returned to the Council once it is no longer needed.

Accredited retailers

There are a number of accredited retailers across the borough of Hillingdon who have been trained to process prescriptions and provide equipment on behalf of the council and NHS.

Retailers are requested to adhere to a set standard and can be identified by this sign.

As well as redeeming a prescriptions these retailers will be able to provide additional information and advice on a wide range of equipment. You can either review the list of accredited providers or you can review the equipment providers in the Marketplace.

Provider Name Address Town Post Code Telephone
Age UK Hillingdon Unit 2, Chapel Court, 126 Church Road Hayes UB3 2LW 0208 756 3040
Carter Ability Northwood 112-114 High Street Northwood HA6 1BJ 01923 518327
DASH / HCIL Wood End Centre, Judge Heath Lane Hayes UB3 2PB 0208 848 8319
Daya Ltd 750 Uxbridge Road Hayes UB4 0RU 0208 573 3084
Dunns Chemists 740 Bath Road Cranford TW5 9TY 0208 759 0553
Eastcote Pharmacy (Enimed Ltd) 111 Field End Road Pinner HA5 1QG 0208 8662572
Flora Fountain 283 High Street Uxbridge UB8 1LQ 01895 258000
Grosvenor Pharmacy 788 Uxbridge Road Hayes UB4 0RS 0208 848 4612
Lawtons Pharmacy 8-9 Crescent Parade Hillingdon UB10 0LG 01895 232876
Malthouse Pharmacy Ltd The Malthouse Breakspear Road North UB9 6NF 01895 824782
Medequip Unit 2, Summit Centre West Drayton UB7 0LJ 0208 750 1580
Medics Pharmacy 11 Dawley Road Hayes UB3 1LS 0208 573 1799
Oakleigh Pharmacy Uxbridge Road Hillingdon Heath UB10 0LU 0208 573 0285
Orchard Pharmacy 6 Laurel Lane West Drayton UB7 7TU 01895 444103
Puri Pharmacy 165 Ryefield Avenue Hillingdon UB10 9DA 01895 272571
Ravenor Chemist 70 The Broadway Greenford UB6 9QA 0208 578 4097
Redland Healthcare 24A Portman Road Reading RG30 1EA 01189 560800
Ruislip Manor Pharmacy 53 Victoria Road Ruislip HA4 9BH 01895 632409
Winchester Pharmacy 64 Swan Road West Drayton UB7 7JZ 01895 442788
Winchester Pharmacy (Ick) 79 Swakeleys Road Ickenham UB10 8DQ 01895 675750
Yiewsley Pharmacy 28 High Street Yiewsley UB7 7DP 01895 442545

Last reviewed: 31/01/2019

Useful links

While every care has been taken in the compilation of the information on this website, neither Hillingdon Council or PCG Care Solutions will be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of using the site and any inaccuracies/errors within these pages.

If you choose to purchase services via the Marketplace, you are advised to refer to the Buyers Guide prior to making a purchase, as well as making your own enquiries and seeking independent advice. This is applicable to Adult services only, as there is no Marketplace for Children's services.