Connect to Support Hillingdon
Please review and correct the information below.

Care Homes


A care home is a residential setting where an individual can receive support with accommodation and personal care, away from their own home. Care homes have trained staff to attend to their residents throughout the day and night. Some care homes also have trained nurses to provide skilled nursing care as required - these are referred to as nursing homes. Another category of care homes are those that provide specialist care input, for example dementia, learning disability, mental health, etc.

Moving from your own home to a care home can be a big decision. In some instances the move could be temporary, i.e. to assist with convalescence following a change in health circumstances including hospital discharge, interim arrangement whilst work is being undertaken in the home environment, or even respite care to give the informal carer a break from their caring role.

There are other times when a permanent move to residential care is considered when it has been deemed that your needs can no longer be safely managed within your own home or alternative accommodation within the community.

Which one?

To help with choosing the right care home, you could refer to the Connect to Support Marketplace in order to make an informed decision.

If you are paying for your care you may choose any home depending on your financial circumstances. If the London Borough of Hillingdon is required to arrange the care you require, you may choose any home as long as:

  • You have been assessed as needing care in a residential setting;
  • The home is suitable for your care needs;
  • A place is available; and
  • The home does not cost more than Hillingdon would usually pay for the agreed level of care, i.e. residential or nursing or dementia care. If the cost is greater, the next of kin or a family member would be required to pay the difference. This is called a third party top up.

You may either look for a care home yourself, all information is available from the Ealing, Hillingdon and Hounslow Care Directory or the Marketplace.

Paying for your care

Choice and control

Whether you are new to adult social care or an existing service user, you will need to have an assessment of your financial circumstances. This assessment is to see if a financial contribution needs to be made towards your care and support.

The amount you may need to pay depends upon your financial situation. This is determined by the financial assessment which is separate to the assessment that the social worker completes to understand the amount of care and support you may need. Your ability to pay is not related to the amount of care and support you may need.

If you are not asking for any help to pay for your care, you can apply directly to the home of your choice. If you only have enough money to pay your care home fees for a limited period of time. Read more on paying for your care.

For more information on understanding residential care costs.

Further information

Other organisations that can assist with find a care home are:

   Age UK

   Alzheimer's Society

What's available in Hillingdon?

The following care homes are owned and managed by the London Borough of Hillingdon and are for adults with learning disabilities, physical disabilities and complex health needs.

3 Colham Road

4 Hatton Grove

Merrimans Respite Service

Last reviewed: 08/08/2018

Useful links


While every care has been taken in the compilation of the information on this website, neither Hillingdon Council or PCG Care Solutions will be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of using the site and any inaccuracies/errors within these pages.

If you choose to purchase services via the Marketplace, you are advised to refer to the Buyers Guide prior to making a purchase, as well as making your own enquiries and seeking independent advice. This is applicable to Adult services only, as there is no Marketplace for Children's services.