Connect to Support Hillingdon
Please review and correct the information below.

Someone to help me


What is homecare?

If you are having difficulties with activities of daily living even with the right aids and adaptations - you may benefit from someone coming into your home to assist with things like washing, dressing, toileting, eating and drinking.

This sort of service is known as homecare and is often provided by homecare agencies (also known as domiciliary care agencies).

You may be eligible for support from the local authority to receive homecare.

If you are eligible for support and assistance from the local authority you could choose to use your personal budget to purchase homecare, if this would meet your eligible needs and outcomes.

How do I access homecare?

The local authority can arrange homecare on your behalf, but for greater choice and control you could choose to purchase your own homecare using a direct payment.

Alternatively you can arrange private homecare directly from a homecare agency. For further information, including pricing please see the Marketplace.

Homecare is just one option. For example, you may prefer to use your personal budget to employ your own personal assistant if this would meet your assessed needs and outcomes.

Personal assistants (PAs)

What are they?

A PA is someone who is employed directly by an individual with care and support needs or by someone acting on their behalf to enable them to live their life as full and independently as possible.

They may support in many aspects of a persons life. For example, they may provide personal care and also assist the person to meet up with their friends, go to work and participate in community life.


If you have a personal budget and receive a direct payment or are a self-funder you can employ people to provide care and support in your home.


Employing a PA can help you live independently and in a way that you want, they enable you to have greater choice and control over how your care and support is provided.  Further benefits include:

  • they work for you
  • you decide what you want them to do
  • you decide when you want them to work

Getting started

When you’re an employer you have certain responsibilities and obligations that you must follow to make sure that you and your PAs are protected and safe. At first it might sound daunting, but it needn’t be as there are many people and organisations that can help and advise you. 

The following link tells you all you need to know about recruiting and employing a PA. It also advises on how to register as a PA if you are interested in this type of work.

Personal Assistants in Hillingdon

Funding for training for individual employers

Skills for Care offer funding to people who employ their own care and support staff, to provide training for personal assistants. The application for funding is currently closed but will re-open at a later date. You can find more information here.

DBS checks

If you are employing a PA you will need to ensure relevant DBS checks are carried out.

The Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) and the Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA) have merged into the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). CRB checks are now called DBS checks.

A DBS check may be needed for:

  • - certain jobs or voluntary work - like working with children, or in healthcare
  • - applying to foster or adopt a child
  • There are different rules for getting a criminal record check in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

The DBS eligibility guidance lists most roles that are eligible for a check. However, the guidance isn't comprehensive, and you should contact the DBS if you're unsure.

Read more about DBS checks.  

Other services

Domestic services

There are a range of other domestic services including gardening, pet sitting, handy person, home maintenance, laundry, shopping and housework that can be privately arranged.

Age UK provide a number of options as part of their Help at Home service. All staff are fully DBS checked, trained, insured, reliable and trustworthy. Help can be arranged on a regular basis to suit you. The average time for a visit is one and half hours. Some examples of the sort of help you might need are shopping (both for food and non-food items), taking you to appointments, cleaning, decluttering, helping pay bills, collect prescriptions, laundry and ironing and helping to prepare light meals. Visit their store in the market place to book this service. Please note that this service does not include personal care.

Age UK offer an online 'Trusted Trader' directory which can be used whatever area you live in.

Hillingdon Carers may also be able to assist you to find the right services for you if you are a carer.

Last reviewed: 16/07/2018

Useful links


While every care has been taken in the compilation of the information on this website, neither Hillingdon Council or PCG Care Solutions will be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of using the site and any inaccuracies/errors within these pages.

If you choose to purchase services via the Marketplace, you are advised to refer to the Buyers Guide prior to making a purchase, as well as making your own enquiries and seeking independent advice. This is applicable to Adult services only, as there is no Marketplace for Children's services.