Connect to Support Hillingdon
Please review and correct the information below.

Assessment and support planning


From April 2015 the way care and support needs are assessed has changed. 

There is a national level (for England) of care and support needs that all councils will consider when we assess what help we can give you.  This may result in you being eligible for care and support, and will make it easier for you to plan for the future. 

Whatever your level of need, we will be able to put you in touch with the right organisation to support your wellbeing and help you remain independent for longer.


Your needs assessment

The first step in the process is to complete a needs assessment.

If you have difficulty in contributing to the assessment you may choose a relative, family member or friend to support you in the process. If you do not have anyone who can help you the council will appoint an independent advocate to support you.

Your care and support plan

This information will be used to work out the care support you need. You can identify the types of support and services that you need and this will be written in your care and support plan.

You will be advised of your personal budget to meet your eligible needs. You will be able to use your personal budget to buy the support or services you need or a mix of both.

Your financial assessment

Most people will require a financial assessment to ascertain how much they will need to pay towards the cost of their services. You can complete this online if you wish.

However, if you have over £23,250 in savings you will pay the full cost of your care and support. You are still entitled to a needs-led assessment, but you may prefer to go to the Marketplace to purchase your own care and support directly.


You are eligible for a needs assessment if you have care and support needs as a result of:

  • Your sight or hearing loss
  • Physical or learning disabilities
  • A mental health problem
  • Frailty or illness
  • You are also entitled to an assessment in your own right if you are a carer.

Alternatively, the cared for person and their carer can have a combined assessment, which takes account of both of your needs.

To request an assessment, you should contact Hillingdon Social Care Direct or complete an online self assessment here.

Your assessment

Your needs assessment

By talking to you, your assessor will find out your strengths and areas where you may need support. This is a person-led assessment.

If you have difficulty in contributing to the assessment you may choose a relative, family member or friend to support you in the process. If you do not have anyone who can help you the council will appoint an independent advocate to support you.

Your assessor will work with you to provide information and advice regarding any appropriate preventative services that may help maintain or increase your independence (e.g. Reablement and/or Simple equipment for daily living).

Some people will not be eligible for funding from the council but we can offer support in many other ways and put you in touch with other organisations that may be able to help.

Questions we may cover

Your assessment will cover areas such as your health, mental health, mobility, hearing, sight, communication, personal care, domestic arrangements, your home, your routines and the support you receive from others.

Involving other professionals in your assessment

Health and social care professionals often work together to assess a person’s needs and provide services. With your consent, we will share information about your situation with those involved in helping you, so we can co-ordinate our services more effectively.

Your plan

Your indicative allocation

If you have eligible needs, you will be provided with an indicative allocation. This is the amount of money we think you need to buy your care and support. The amount is approximate and the final amount (your personal budget) will be confirmed once your care and support plan has been agreed.

The council uses an automated tool called the Resource Allocation System (RAS) to work out your indicative allocation. By using scores from your assessment, the RAS estimates how much money should be made available. If you disagree with the amount calculated, you should discuss this with your assessor.

Your care and support plan

Once you know your indicative allocation you can begin to think about how you want your care and support needs to be met. You need to think about who will provide them and how much they will cost (visit our Marketplace for more information).

You will have flexibility in how your care and support needs are met. For example, you may want to employ a personal assistant/support worker to help you remain in your own home or you may want someone to help you attend leisure activities to help you develop your skills and interests.  The various options can be discussed and agreed with your assessor/support planner. 

You will receive a copy of your care and support plan, which will set out how your needs will be met.

Your personal budget

Once your care and support plan has been agreed your personal budget will be confirmed. This is the amount of money available to you, which is sufficient to meet your assessed social care needs. 

You will also be advised of your assessed financial contribution. The actual amount that the Local Authority will pay is the PB, less your assessed financial contribution.

Managing your personal budget

Direct payments

You can choose to manage your budget yourself, as a direct payment via a prepaid card.

Local authority

The local authority can manage your personal budget on your behalf. This is less flexible than a direct payment but you have less responsibility to arrange your support.

Mixed personal budget

You can arrange part of your support yourself using a direct payments and get the council to arrange the rest using a managed personal budget.

Last reviewed: 15/06/2018

Useful links


While every care has been taken in the compilation of the information on this website, neither Hillingdon Council or PCG Care Solutions will be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of using the site and any inaccuracies/errors within these pages.

If you choose to purchase services via the Marketplace, you are advised to refer to the Buyers Guide prior to making a purchase, as well as making your own enquiries and seeking independent advice. This is applicable to Adult services only, as there is no Marketplace for Children's services.