Connect to Support Hillingdon
Please review and correct the information below.

Personal Independence Payment


Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a tax free benefit for children and adults aged 16 to 64 who need help with personal care or have difficulties walking due to a physical or mental disability.

Children aged under 16 can claim Disability Living Allowance.

The amount you get is based on how your condition affects you and not the condition itself.

You will be assessed by a health professional to see how much help you need and what rate you are entitled to.

What you'll get

PIP is made up of 2 parts - the daily living part and the mobility part. It will depend on how severely your condition affects you as to which part or parts you get. There are 2 levels within each part. For information on the current amounts, please click here.

How to claim

You can make a new claim for PIP by calling the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). For full details of how to claim, click here.

What happens after I make a claim?

Following on from the telephone call to the DWP, you will be sent a form to complete. The form will be available in different formats such as Braille, large print or audio CD. Once you have returned the form, you will be invited to a meeting with an independent health assessor or your health and social care worker (if you have one) will be asked for information. At the meeting you will be asked questions about how your condition affects your daily life and ability to carry out activities. Once this is completed, you will be sent a letter to advise you if you have been awarded PIP or not. You can appeal if you disagree with the decision.

Help making a claim

There are some agencies that can help you to make a claim for PIP or appeal against a decision if you have already claimed.

Examples of these agencies are the Citizens Advice Bureau and various other charities or organisations. More information can be found in our directory of services.

Last reviewed: 26/09/2017

Useful links


While every care has been taken in the compilation of the information on this website, neither Hillingdon Council or PCG Care Solutions will be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of using the site and any inaccuracies/errors within these pages.

If you choose to purchase services via the Marketplace, you are advised to refer to the Buyers Guide prior to making a purchase, as well as making your own enquiries and seeking independent advice. This is applicable to Adult services only, as there is no Marketplace for Children's services.