Connect to Support Hillingdon
Please review and correct the information below.

Benefits, funding, grants and work


Benefits are essential to the financial welfare of many people, so it is important to take up your full entitlement. The majority of benefits are overseen by the Government, through the Department for Work and Pensions. The main exception is payment for people who are eligible for help with housing costs, which are organised by the council. Tax credits are dealt with by HM Revenues and Customs.

Financial help if you have children

There are a wide range of benefits available if you have children, from help when you are having a baby or adopting, child benefit, tax credits and support for child care, to financial help if you have a disabled child.

Where can I find out about the benefits available?

A benefits calculator is available for you to work out what you may be entitled to.

The council website has information about benefits, grants and funding, including free school meals.

Useful information can be found on the GOV.UK website regarding all aspects of financial help if you have children.

The HMRC website gives full details on claiming tax credits including child tax credit and working tax credit.

There are also a range of specialist agencies which can give help and advice on claiming benefits and dealing with appeals in our directory, as well as access to work and training.

The Disability Grants website also provides information about benefits you may be entitled to.

DASH Transitions project: 

If you are aged between 16 and 25 years old, with a disability, DASH will be able to support you with the following:

  • Advice for the young person and/or family
  • Help to fill in forms relating to benefits
  • To attend appointments relating to benefits
  • Promotion of independent living skills Attending GP, dental and eye test appointments
  • Guidance to attend local community groups in Hillingdon


For information and advice on funding for care needs, please see our Personal Budget pages.


Grants are available for adapting and improving your home including disabled facilities, as well as education grants for things like free school meals, free school travel, student support and free early education entitlement funding (FEEE).

The council also offers access to free child care for 2 year olds.


Working Families have published the results of their survey regarding parents of disabled children and work.

Some of the key findings were:

  • 76% of parents of disabled children have turned down a promotion or accepted a demotion to meet their caring responsibilities. Nearly half (45%) are working at a lower skill level than before they had their disabled child.
  • The vast majority (86%) parents of disabled children find it 'difficult or impossible' to find suitable, often specialist, childcare, whilst 82% have trouble finding childcare they care afford.
  • While flexible jobs are highly valued, they are scare. Nine in ten (91%) parents of disabled children say finding a job with the right working pattern is a significant barrier to returning to work. Four in five (81%) say it's a significant barrier to staying in work.

The report is available here or on their website at: https://www.workingfamilies.org.uk/news/off_balance_2018/

Any parents seeking advice about employment or benefit issues can call their free legal helpline for parents and carers on 0300 012 0312.

Last reviewed: 17/01/2019

Useful links


While every care has been taken in the compilation of the information on this website, neither Hillingdon Council or PCG Care Solutions will be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of using the site and any inaccuracies/errors within these pages.

If you choose to purchase services via the Marketplace, you are advised to refer to the Buyers Guide prior to making a purchase, as well as making your own enquiries and seeking independent advice. This is applicable to Adult services only, as there is no Marketplace for Children's services.